Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Newest Member of the Channing Family

Everybody, meet Sammie. She's a 10-month old hound mix. This picture doesn't do her justice, but it's the only one we have so far. I'll post more later.

We adopted Sammie today at the Animal Shelter. This was a huge spontaneous decision. We wanted a dog - after we had a completely fenced-in backyard. Neither Channing nor I wanted an inside dog. But, we do now!

Here's how it happened. We were out driving today, and I suggested going by the animal shelter just to check things out. I seriously didn't foresee coming home with a dog. Shelby and I had stopped at the first set of kennels, while Channing went further down the row. Next thing I know, a volunteer is getting this little girl out and Channing is beaming. Jordan, the very persuasive volunteer, told us that Sammie was the perfect dog for a family. He'd take her home if he didn't have 8 dogs of his own. (Yes, that's right...8.)

We went outside with her for a walk, and that's when it happened. We were hooked. Well, Channing already was before we got outside, but after I saw how wonderful Sammie is, and how great she is with Shelby...I was hooked too.

It is amazing how much stuff you need for a pet. Our first trip to Wal-mart cost us about $100. That's crazy!

The past few hours have been great. I love our new addition. Sammie is the first dog I've ever had, and I am having so much fun!

4 comments:

Lindsey Eason said...

Wow - what a cute dog Sammie is!! You guys are going to love having her around - can't wait to see more pictures of your new addition! Congratulations to Shelby on learning to suck through a straw - you'll have to write it in her baby book that Dr.Pepper was her first straw drink! :) The "best friend" pictures were really cute! Isn't it so sweet to see our children developing relationships at such a young age?! Rauly has a best friend who lives a few hours from here and we get them together as often as possible...Shelby is blessed to have a friend who lives nearby and who will be there for many years to come!!

Rachel said...

How fun having a dog! Jeremy wants to get a dog one day. I still am not so sure on the whole pet thing. Oh well, maybe I'll come around someday!

Anonymous said...

Too too cute! Can't wait to see more pics!

laura said...

What a sweet puppy dog! I hope that Shelby has as much fun playing with Sammie as Nathan has with Lucy! It's amazing when you find a puppy that is good with your kiddos. Nathan rides Lucy, holds her ears like he's flying a plane, hugs her so tight, and yet she just sits there and lets him, happy as a clam! We are so blessed! Nathan loves straws too! Especially here where there is such great fresh juice at all the restaurants... so I order him his own and he goes to town :) God bless you guys! I sure have missed you this week, more this week than normal! Sure do wish you were just around the corner!