Thursday, November 16, 2006

Spiritual Thought

I'd like to take credit for this post, but I can't. I did not write what I'm about to share with you. Actually, Alyssa Michie, a student at Memphis Harding Academy, wrote it in the October 18 issue of The Lion, the school's newspaper. I don't know Alyssa. I just happened to read her article and appreciated what she had to say:

“Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs” (Psalm 100:1-2). Words quoted at the beginning of many worship services. How we worship is an issue among churches everywhere. In mixed denominational settings, it is common to see some spirited people clapping to the song while their brother-in-Christ stands behind them with a scowl.
I have heard the more conservative say that clapping and dancing during worship is disrespectful. I have heard the more liberal say that worship should be an expression of praise to God. I have heard both say that one is not really singing unless one is singing from the heart. So what is singing from the heart? Is it singing while internally marveling at all of God’s virtues, or is it singing and expressing and sharing with your fellow Christians your internal and spiritual amazement through physical movement?
Once I went to a rally in Kansas City, just outside the Bible Belt. Everyone in my youth group was shocked when the worship service started. Some people stood singing while those beside them clapped; others knelt down on the floor and wept, while still others actually went into the aisles and danced with all the innocence of a little kid on Christmas morning. There may have been those who were not truly worshipping, but the mood in that room can only be described as honest and nonjudgemental.

I wish we had that here.

Like I said at the beginning of this post, I don't know Alyssa, but I sure would like to meet her and have a good chat with her. Oh, how I wish I had been where she is when I was in high school! She seems to really point out what it's all about. I have been part of a church like the one in KC that she described. How wonderful and uplifting it is to be able to worship God with such freedom! I pray that we will all be able to truly worship God each time we gather with other believers...in whatever way we want to express our love and praise for Him!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I am always so happy to think not everyone has to wait until they're 35 to open up with God. I'm enjoying coming out (albeit slowly) from my old worship cocoon. Who wants to be a caterpillar when they can be a butterfly!!

Thanks for the post, Deidre!