Saturday, January 13, 2007

Memories Made in Wal-mart

Laura's comment on my last post really made me smile. Laura was my main Wal-mart buddy the year we lived together. Back then, I didn't go to Wal-mart unless I had a lot of time. We would seriously be there for at least two hours. Jen and Christie can attest to this because Laura was also one of their Wal-mart buddies. Laura and I both are rather indecisive, so we were a bad combination. My funniest Wal-mart memory would be standing next to Laura as she decided which cake mix to buy. I also remember listening to FFH's song Big Fish on our way. I always smile and think of Laura when I hear that song. (I wonder if we always listened to that song, or if one particular ride was extra memorable or something.)

Surely some of you Harding alumni have a funny memory from Wal-mart!

5 comments:

Marie said...

One of my favorite memories was during the summer I lived with Heather (my future sis-in-law). We drove to Wal-mart at 2 am (just because we could since we lived off campus) and we spent literally 1 1/2 house just looking at lipstick (which neither of us bought) and Joel Shores was working and joined us on our 2-3 hour trek through walmart at 2 am! I couldn't do that now if I tried. All the Wal-mart memories! I still spend at least 2 hours in Walmart at a time!

Jennifer said...

One of my most memorable (besides avoiding the 2 hour trips with you and Laura!) was going with Khris Downey one day. I have no idea what we were going for, but we ran into this guy who needed a ride. We took him home, and I remember this was one of my first exposures to the down and out. This guy had very poor hygiene and I had to ask Khris to crack the window so I could breathe. We got him home and Khris gave him some money I think. From what I learned afterward, this guy got many rides home from HU students. This was probably my most memorable!

Oh, and bid day. How could one forget the crazy ride to Walmart to get craft materials to make our pledge books? I just remember trying to make curfew, driving back and praying that God would keep the cops away from the road I was on!

Our Family said...

I think that perhaps the song Big Fish makes me think of Laura is because of the crazy button on her stereo in the car that would pop off sometimes. I remember leaning over in the back seat a few times to find it!

laura said...

oh my gosh dee... i had totally forgotten about the crazy radio button! man that thing would shoot off and go flying... thank you for the memory, there were few in my life (and even still my hubby won't go to wal-mart with me) who could handle me in wal-mart. you are a treasure!

Marcia said...

Hey Diedra! It's Marcia (used to be etheridge) from Chi Os. I laughed reading your memories from Wal-Mart. I had a freaky experience at Wal-Mart this week. All of Houston must have done their shopping the day before because the store was deserted. I pushed my cart around at 5:30 pm trying to think of what else I needed to shop for.
I smiled reading about Big Fish making you think of Laura. I have a college friend that Big Fish always makes me think of too!
Hope you're doing well. Your little girl is too cute!