Sunday, October 01, 2006

Retreat

We had planned on going to Texas this weekend to visit Channing's family. All last week I really felt the need to stay home, while Channing and Shelby went on as planned. Not because I didn't want to be with the in-laws or anything like that, but because I just needed some time to myself. I haven't had that in a long time, not since I was pregnant - which I don't count as rest because it was at the end of May and I was VERY uncomfortable! Thankfully, Channing understood and was willing to let me have some "me time" the whole weekend.

I've had a ball!! I have cleaned the whole house, except for the garage as it's too hot this weekend. While doing that, I cranked the stereo way up, singing along at the top of my lungs. I started reading a book by Mary Higgins Clark, one of my favorite authors. I must admit that I watched a silly chick flick starring Katie Holmes. What a wonderfully mindless thing to do on a Friday night! Yesterday, I slept until nearly 11 a.m. My good friend Paige and I went to Little Rock for the afternoon, eating lunch at McAlister's and shopping at Target and Park Plaza Mall. I seriously cannot remember the last time we did that. It was so wonderful to reconnect and have that time with Paige! This afternoon I've been able to get caught up on Beth Moore's Believing God Bible study. It's been such a good weekend, and I feel very energized.

As far as Channing and Shelby's weekend in Texas, I'll have him tell you about it tonight or later on this week. It hasn't been bad, though. (However, he didn't get to have lunch with his dad like he hoped, in effort to prevent a meltdown from Shelby! Next visit, we will definitely make it happen!) Shelby has done well with just Daddy. That's an answer to prayer, let me tell you!

I am very blessed that Channing feels comfortable taking care of Shelby on his own. I'm thankful for a husband who understands my need to be alone and have time doing things I like to do so that I don't lose the sense of who I am, besides a wife and a mother. What a gift from God he is!

3 comments:

Marie said...

I am so happy that you had a wonderful weekend. I know how hard it can be to get time away to do the things that make you- you. I know Shelby had a wonderful time with daddy and you will enjoy having them back home!

Traci said...

Deidre, I am so glad for you that you had a relaxing, stress-free weekend. You derserved it. I've been thinking of you and your family a lot. I love you!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how much alike we are as cousins! We really never have been around each other, and yet we both love music and singing(especially when alone). I love to watch movies, and I am now reading a book by M. H. Clark called "Two Littles Girls in Blue". My family also enjoys eating at McAlisters! Deidre, you need time alone occasionally, it is good for everyone- It has always been hard for me with four children growing up. I hope you have a great week.