Wednesday, October 25, 2006

In and Not Of

This Avalon song has always been a favorite. Lately it's been running through my head...A LOT! I find myself struggling at times to be a part of the world, but not be "of the world." Or sometimes I want to stay inside my bubble...but what kind of influence do I have then? These are just a couple thoughts I wanted to share, as well as the words to this great song. Be blessed!

I hide away, far away from trouble
The world outside me grows darker by the day
So I promise to stay here close beside Him
Surely God would want His children safe
Then reading, how my eyes were opened
I find that He is leading us out into the world
Into the middle of fallen saints and sinners
Where a little grace is needed most

Come take the light to darker parts
Share His truth with hardened hearts
We are not like the world, but we can love it
Come bring His hope to hopeless men
‘Till the lost are found in Him
He came to save the world
So let us be
In and not of it

Wait a minute,
If we say we love it
Why are we not in it
Why we run and hide
Entertain a stranger,
Maybe entertain an angel
The danger is if our worlds don’t collide


We’ve cursed the darkness far too long
We need to hold the candle high
We have to go and right the wrong
We need to touch the world
With love, with His love

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan and I talk about this alot, especially when we get grief for going to taekwondo on Wednesday nights instead of church services. We do spend a great deal of time with our church folks, but a lot of our other time is spent with our taekwondo community, building relationships and prayerfully showing Jesus to many people who need him. It is hard, as it is much easier and much more gratifying to be with people who are the same as we are in faith. I deal a lot with feeling out of place during certain conversations, but I also have found that those are the conversations in which I can have the most influence. And yet, there are times when I feel the world's influence on me. It is a hard balance, but one that I think we as Christians will always wrestle with.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the lyrics. They really touched me today.