Thursday, October 26, 2006

Communion Thoughts

This past Sunday morning at Downtown, Ken Neller did something a little different during communion. First, he reminded us that communion is to be joyful time of remembering that Jesus did not stay in the tomb. Secondly, it is to be a time of remembering Christ's body that hung on the cross. But it doesn't end there. Communion is also about sharing with the body of Christ...other believers. Then he asked all of us to form groups of about 5 or 6, circling our chairs together, to take the Supper together. Ken asked that each of us to share in our groups a sin that God has forgiven us for, and then pray together before taking the bread. As the cup was being passed, we were to share with one another spiritual blessings we had received because of Christ's sacrifice, followed with a prayer. It was a very special time of remembering and sharing. I had never experienced anything like it, and was very blessed by connecting with other believers in such an intimate way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like what he did. That is such a neat way of experiencing the community rather than just talking about it during the talk. I have been thinking about this for a long time, wondering how in the world to make it different. I really like his idea.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, that I'm usually uncomfortable with doing worship things differently. But I am also aware that sometimes doing something with a twist like that makes me think harder about what we're doing. Since most of the time during communion I'm focused on keeping my kids quiet, I have a hard time concentrating on what we're doing. One thing that some of the men of my congregation have done, although it's nothing like what you guys did, is to ask the entire congregation to focus on the communion again Sunday night when some of our brothers & sisters are participating in it because they missed the morning service. That has gotten me to thinking more about the community aspect of communion.

Traci said...

I, too, have a hard time concentrating during communion because of trying to keep children still and quiet. One thing that I heard about another mother doing is that she wakes up a little early on Sunday mornings to read the account of Jesus' death on the cross and meditate on that while she has that alone time before church. I haven't tried that yet basically because I have a hard time getting up any earlier. But I do want to try it. I'm sure it would help keeping things in proper perspective during communion.