Saturday, September 30, 2006

Family Time in Tennessee and Mississippi

Tuesday the three of us headed East. I was really dreading the trip, obviously because we were going for Grandmother's funeral service. And the two days there definitely had their difficult moments. But, as I look back, I am thankful for those days. I'm thankful that so many of us gathered to honor Grandmother and celebrate her life. I'm thankful that we were all there to comfort each other, especially my dad and his siblings. I'm thankful that the life Grandmother led gave us a reason to celebrate, even though we were missing her.

Wednesday evening, after the service, several of us got together at Aunt Pat's house in Hernando, Mississippi. My cousin Denise's kids had their puppy with them. Shelby was freaking out, especially since the puppy was so tiny - just her size. She also discovered magnets, and had a ball playing with them.

As we were sitting around the table, some of my cousins were discussing how they have to have things so-so and how orderly they are when it comes to folding towels or hanging clothes. I chimed in with how I have "assigned" certain hangers to me (pink, purple, and burgundy) and others (blue and green) to Channing because of the color. Aunt Pat grinned, and told me that's because I'm a Mathis and Grandmother did things that way.

It was such a blessing to be with family! I am sure that, if Grandmother could have seen us, she'd be so happy to watch us laughing with one another.

2 comments:

Marie said...

I just now found got on the chack your blog. I am sorry that your Grandmother passed, but happy that she is with her father in Heaven. I know the services must have been hard, but you all did her right by celebrateing her life. Thinking about you!

Lisa said...

Hey Dee, I'm leaving a comment! :) I know, I'm probably not one of the people you'd like to leave comments more often, as I leave so many as it is! I'm glad that you enjoyed your time with some of your cousins, despite the difficult setting you were all in. It is great to be able to celebrate a wonderful woman's life; rather than wonder about where she is, you know!! :) About the hangers--is that really weird? Because I have certain color hangers assigned to each person in my family too. I kinda thought that was strange, but fun too. Wanna guess what my color is??