Friday, September 08, 2006

Memory Retrieval and Grandmothers

I am going through Believing God, a Bible study written by Beth Moore. This week is focusing on God's presence in our life at all times. An assignment for the week involves a little memory retrieval. One of the questions in the workbook asked who among my extended family had the most impact on my belief in God. Of course I thought of my parents, who always taught me about God. But, dealing with my extended family, my mind went straight to both of my grandmothers. I am blessed to come from a family that loves the Lord and follows Him. My dad's mom, Grandmother, has made an incredible impact on me spiritually because she always read her Bible. If memory serves me correctly, there was a Bible on the table in the living room and one next to her bed. She would often tell me what she'd been reading, either a passage from the Bible or an article out of a religious magazine. Grandmother also loved her church family. At the age of 95, she is unable to attend services because of declining health. I know that it was very difficult for her to come to that decision, and that she's missed worshipping God with other believers.

My mom's mother, Grandma, also made an impact on my relationship with the Lord. She too talked about God's Word and her love for it. When we'd visit her church, Grandma would be one of the sweet little ladies singing songs like "On Jordan's Stormy Banks" as loud as she could. She loved praising her Father. During tonight's memory retrieval exercise, something came to mind that I had not thought of in a very long time. In the year between Grandpa's and Grandma's passings, I would sleep on the other twin bed in Grandma's room when we'd visit her. I remember a couple times when Grandma would get into bed, tell me good night, wait a few minutes, and then start praying. She talked so quietly, and I would strain to hear her. I know that those are probably the only times I ever heard her pray, and am so thankful for the memory of it tonight.

What a blessing it is to have such a heritage! I am thankful for my grandmothers, who were the spiritual leaders of their families. Tonight, my prayer is that I will pass on that heritage to my own children.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Your grandmothers do sound really neat, Dee! It makes me sad when dedicated Christians can't get to worship services, & I hope she has a chance to go sometime. Won't it be neat to introduce all your friends to your grandparents in heaven?! You do have a really special heritage, & I'm glad you treasure it.

Jennifer said...

What a legacy to pass on to Shelby, even now when she is so young. One of the most blessed things is to appreciate what our elders have given us rather than resent or condescend the traditions that we want them to change. You truly have a gift from them Dee!