Sunday, April 01, 2007

Mom and Dad, You've Got to Come Get Me!

These were words that my parents weren't happy to hear. It was my freshman year at Harding. I called home with the news that I, along with a few other friends, had been caught at the apartment of a male friend. I told them I was in Dr. Burks' office, and that I was being kicked out. Mom and Dad had to come get me immediately. I remember their response like it was yesterday. Dad was calm and said, "Okay," as though he was in shock. Mom just kept saying, "Oh, Deidre!" over and over. I quickly informed them that it was April Fools Day, and that I was just kidding. They told me that it was a mean joke, but also admitted that I got them really good. They even told their friends about it. We still laugh about it now.

Have you ever played a good April Fools joke on someone?

4 comments:

laura said...

Do you remember Spring of 2000... that would be the year that Gary asked me to marry him... yeah you guessed it... on April 1st. Try getting your mom to believe that one when you call to tell her you're engaged and she's for sure that it's a prank... No Mom, really... we're getting married :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a good one! I never ever remember to do anything. I always think about it a few days before, then April 1st rolls around & I forget. Oh well! I enjoy hearing other people's jokes, though!

The pics of Shelby look great!! How cool!

Jason said...

That was good. You had me! I was thinking 'Oh Deidre!' But thinking that you must have gotten out of it since you did graduate from Harding after all. I am easily fooled! :) -- Nicole

Lindsey Eason said...

Wow - I think my parents would've killed me if I tried to pull that prank on em'!! When I was first reading this, I was thinking..."Omiword!! I NEVER would have thought Deidre would've been kicked out of HU!!"...glad to hear that was just a joke!! (As for my own, I have a great sense of humor when it comes to other people's jokes, but am TOTALLY uncreative and can never think to come up with something believable and funny!)