Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Song Remembers When

Julie Kiser made a post this week about how a smell can take you back to all kinds of things. For me, it's the smell of leaves and/or trash burning. I am instantly taken back to Grandma and Grandpa's house. While those smells might not be the most pleasant one for some, it really makes me happy.

Her post got me thinking of how songs can take you back too. I know a couple country songs that are about that. (The Song Remembers When by Trisha Yearwood and State of Mind by Clint Black). So here's my idea:

What song takes you back? What does it take you back to?

Here are a couple of mine...
  • Always Be My Baby by Mariah Carey - Wendy and I listened to this a lot our senior year of high school. If I ever hear this song, I think of the night of Senior Banquet. We were in her dad's Dodge Ram, running late and very low on fuel. She wouldn't stop for gas because we were late and I was freaking out (surprise, surprise) about the possibility of getting stuck on the side of the road in downtown Memphis.
  • You are My All in All - Stacy and I sang this together a lot. She'd laugh at me because I always ended up switching parts and it'd throw her off. I actually think about my old youth group when I hear/sing a lot of songs like that.

4 comments:

Marie said...

I have 4:
1. Shout to the Lord: I was in a Devo group at HU, and every time we sang this it was the most beautiful, uplifting and powerful I have ever heard it. It gives me chills just thinking about it
2. Break my heart: Pleasant memory, but a hard one. I had been praying this song for a few weeks before Matt and I ended our engagement. It was a hard lesson, but a helpful one to teach me to rely on God for all of my understanding. Made me stronger
3. There is a song that Matt wrote for me, that he still sings to this day. I love it and it makes me smile and just remember all we have overcome!
4. Be Still and Know: I LOVE this song. I cannot sing it with out seeing all the faces of my sisters in Christ and knowing that the Lord led us all to each other- helping us to focus on Him.
There are more that I can think of, but I hate to take up too much room.

Traci said...

Of course you know that Wind Beneath my Wings will always make me think of you. That song is very special because it has pertained to so many people in my life. It is still my favorite song to this day!

Anonymous said...

I am with Traci on "Wind Beneath My Wings"--it always makes me think of you, with how much you loved the movie Beaches and because you just have always had that attitude of support without seeking recognition. I also think of you when I hear "I'm Every Woman," because of hearing it a gazillion times when we put together Mary's slide show!

Anonymous said...

HA! Hilarious!Yes, you can ask David, or my dad,I still wait until the LAST minute to get gas! I will be praying for you guys this weekend. Let me know if there's anything I can do...
love you... Wendy