Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Marilyn Fowler

This dear woman passed away on Sunday after a six-month battle with leukemia. Her memorial service was today. While it is so hard to say good-bye to Marilyn, we rejoice in the fact that she is in Heaven with the Father. She has won the victory!

Marilyn and her husband, Al, were a part of a group that started Covenant Fellowship Church. That is where Channing and I met the Fowlers. I spent time in their home as a student at Harding. Al and Marilyn did our premarital counseling and those hours spent together certainly brought us closer. The Sunday that we announced my pregnancy to our church family, Marilyn ran over to give me a huge hug. Right after she congratulated us, she told me she wanted to give me a shower when the time came.

Marilyn was such a precious person. Such an amazing woman who loved God and His church. I will always remember Marilyn's heart for worship. I can see her now, singing her heart out, a smile on her face, and her hands lifted high in praise to God.

Al and Marilyn gave us a beautiful crystal pitcher for our wedding present. In the card, Marilyn wrote how she wanted us to always be reminded to pour ourselves out in service to God. That is just what she did in her own life. Everyone who knew her got a glimpse of the Father as she gave so much of herself. I am so thankful to have known her.

"I thank my God every time I remember you." ~Philippians 1:3

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was beautifully written, deidre, and described her perfectly...i know there are a LOT of people who will miss her!
--april

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful tribute to a beautiful sister! I know your hearts must be aching... you're in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

That's exactly how Marilyn was. I'm so sad she's gone--for Alicia and Al's sake. She was a special, special lady.

I wish we had been home for her service. I hear it was very uplifting.

Anonymous said...

She was a wonderful woman of God. At our time with Covenant, We got to know both Al and Marilyn and what a blessing! She will be sorely missed!