Saturday, October 13, 2007

Another Prayer Request

Tonight I went to a memorial service for a woman who attended Downtown. Letha Hatcher was diagnosed with cancer just two months ago, and went Home to be with the Father on Monday. I didn't know Mrs. Hatcher; I met her once in our Sunday morning Bible class, but was never able to get to know her personally. Mrs. Hatcher's daughter, Kimberly, and my old friend Stacy are good friends from Freed-Hardeman. Kimberly and her family also are a part of Downtown. The week Mrs. Hatcher was diagnosed, the family asked that people come to the hospital and pray over her. When I heard about the prayer time, I felt such a strong urgency to go. And I am so glad that I did. Mrs. Hatcher shared with all of us that she believed that God could heal her, but that He might not choose to do that. She wanted us to know that we shouldn't be discouraged if He didn't heal her. She just wanted God to be glorified in her illness and life, regardless of what the future held. Hearing that was such a tremendous blessing, and I sobbed on the way home that night because I was so overwhelmed by Mrs. Hatcher's faith. Tonight's service was so special. The family wanted everyone there to focus on the fact that Mrs. Hatcher is alive in Jesus, with the Lord, totally healed. After a few people shared memories about Mrs. Hatcher, we spent about an hour singing praises to God. What an amazing way to honor and remember this special lady! God was truly glorified tonight!

I have to confess that this week has been very difficult for me, because I don't understand why Mrs. Hatcher wasn't healed of the cancer. I have to remember that she is healed, that she is more whole than I am here on this earth! It breaks my heart when I stop to think that if I'm feeling this way, how must her family and friends feel!

Please pray for the Hatcher and Simmons family as they are mourning the loss of a wife, daughter, mother, and grandmother.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deidre, thank you, thank you, thank you for being there when I couldn't. I love you very much.

Traci said...

I'm sorry I didn't comment before now. I'm praying for you and for this family. I cannot imagine going through this, but I know God will be with them. Thanks for sharing your heart. Love you!