Monday, March 17, 2008

Thirty and Flirty and Thriving

Today is my 30th birthday. I honestly dreaded today the whole time I was 29. My friend Jennifer has asked why it was so hard for me, and I really can't put my finger on it. Thankfully people knew how much I was dreading it and were very kind. My sister assures me that the 30s are wonderful. I'm going to take her word for it and think positive!

Shelby was fever-free today (finally) so we actually got to get out of the house and celebrate! The three of us went to lunch at The Cookie Basket. We had two offers from friends to babysit tonight while Channing and I had dinner together, but we decided to celebrate as a family at home. The main reason we did that was because we were afraid Shelby's fever might come back while we were out. It worked out great, though, and the three of us had a great time together tonight. Channing grilled hamburgers and corn on the cob. He also made a birthday cake for me; yellow cake with chocolate icing...my favorite!

Tonight Channing took care of bath-time (as usual actually) and bedtime for Shelby while I went to the library to get a couple books and then chatted on the phone with some family and good friends. He ended up going to bed at nine while I stayed up to blog, and watch 13 Going On 30, one of my favorite movies.

I am so thankful for all the sweet birthday wishes I received from friends and family. Channing and Shelby got me a Gilmore Girls season on dvd. Nunda got me the curtains you can see in a couple of the pictures below. My parents sent me a check and I think I'm going to wait a little bit until it's short-sleeve weather and buy a few new shirts. I feel so blessed to have friends and family to celebrate this day with.


Shelby chowing down on corn

My yummy birthday cake with those dreadful numbers on top

Blowing out the candles
(That reminds me...I forgot to make a wish!)

Shelby LOVED my "delicious" cake!!
(Yes, she said it was delicious!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy # 30! I'm so sorry I missed your birthday to actually tell you that on THE day! Your 30's are going to be fabulous. I'm sure of it!

Leslie said...

On the upside, you don't look 30, so you can definitely get away with acting 20 for awhile. Happy belated birthday! I am glad that you ended up enjoying the day.

Spellings Fam said...

Hope you got my email. Happy Birthday if you didn't. Glad you are back to posting and that Shelby is feeling better!

Christy Brockman said...

It sounds like you had everything you could ask for on your birthday. Thumbs up for hubby baking a cake! Glad to see you're posting again.

Lauren said...

Thirty, flirty, and thriving, for sure! The 30's are going to be great:) Glad you enjoyed your birthday. I love the new curtains by the way:)

Marie said...

Happy 30th! Glad you had a good day. Mine is in June and I hope my family is as kind as yours was. May your 30th year bring you joy and blessings.

laura said...

Happy Birthday Dee! I love Shelby's cake face :) and the curtains are super cute... I'll have to admire them in person next time we get to see you in Searcy! Hope you had a great one!

Julie said...

You are a foxy 30.

And your husband is great gift giver...I mean, Gilmore Girls as a present...he knows what a woman wants!!!

If you can ever get Shelby singing the theme song on video you better upload it!